I will be serving as a Protected Areas Management Volunteer with the Peace Corps in Honduras from June 2010 to September 2012. I will also be conducting research for my MS in Forestry from MTU.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Week 8 of training...where it starts getting more fun :)


Hondurans love to dance. So do I. Our group of Peace Corps trainees danced the Waka Waka twice this week, and our community neighbors danced some slightly more traditional danzas in exchange. The Peace Corps likes to do cultural exchange events, so we took these opportunities to also share Red Rover, watermelon seed spitting, and the electric slide. Definitely the best parts of US culture :)



Images from Rio Negro, a small community near the top of MontaƱa Comayagua. We visited a women´s cooperative which makes purses out of chip bags and bracelts out of magazine paper. The co-op was super lucky to find a buyer in the US, and they now export all of their products. We also hiked up into the national park which is where the waterfall-fern tree picture came from. I saw a flock of 20 oropendulas there, and I was hoping to see a Tucan, but I never found one. The fruit in my hand is cardimum. One of the local coffee farms tried to diversify into spice production. They haven´t yet found a buyer in Honduras however.


Adios amigos. Hope you are all doing well where ever you currently find yourselves. Come visit me in Honduras soon!

3 comments:

  1. That's an awesome moth, what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have tons of fun and bring back many memories that will last a lifetime. What a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad it's hard to find a seeded watermelon in a grocery store these days :(

    ReplyDelete